The EUSEM Geriatric Section and the European Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS) have established a joint task force with the following objectives:
- To develop a European Curriculum on GEM.
- To propose a draft for a European Course on GEM.
- To develop European Research on GEM.
- To organise scientific joint sessions at EUSEM and EUGMS congresses.
- To submit two papers on the GEM curriculum and GEM research in the European Journal of Emergency Medicine.
- Production of a European Text Book on GEM.
- To set a strategy for getting finances to support Task Force activities.
- To set quality indicators and guidelines.
European Curriculum of Geriatric Emergency Medicine (ECGEM)
The Task Force has produced a curriculum intended to outline competencies relevant to the care of older people (>65 years of age), especially those with frailty, for physicians working in emergency care (including pre-hospital care and emergency departments). This curriculum should be used in conjunction with the European Curriculum for Emergency Medicine (in due course ECGEM will be incorporated into the wider curriculum).
Anna Björg Jónsdóttir
F. Javier Martín-Sánchez
James Van Oppen